[Catalyst] Cat App on dotcloud

Richard Thomas ret at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 01:51:07 GMT 2011

> Does anyone have any experience of deploying a Cat App onto dotcloud?
> I have an cat app that works fine on my pc using the built-in server
> but doesn't work on dotcloud.

Hi Dermot,
I have a Catalyst-based app running successfully on DotCloud.

> I have seen a couple of examples but seem to have come un-stuck. After
> creating my Cat app and the installing the dotcloud cli, I pushed my
> app thus:

There are a few gotchas that I encountered along the way.

1) I could never get Session::Store::FastMmap to compile on my dotcloud service, and eventually gave up and used Session::Store::File
2) The latest versions of Catalyst (with built-in Plack) use a type of streaming that dotcloud's nginx-based service doesn't cope with. (Or didn't, at least, when my app exploded on upgrading Catalyst a few months back. This problem may now be solved.)
3) One of the tutorials had a typo in the Makefile.PL that it took me a long time to figure out.

What I suggest you do is ssh into your dotcloud www instance, and just run perl -MMoose -e 'say "OK";' and you'll quickly see whether Moose is available or not. Until I solved the problem referred to at (3) above, I had just installed everything via ssh, ie:
> ssh myapp.www
$ cpanm install Moose
$ cpanm install Catalyst
$ cpanm install Template

etc. Eventually I was able to plackup my app via ssh. I couldn't connect to it, of course, but at least I knew it compiled OK.

I see miyagawa has replied to your post on dotcloud's forum as well. Hope you solve it, dotcloud is an excellent platform.

cheers
RET