[Catalyst] Apache2 and mod_perl deployment issue

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 02:55:35 GMT 2011

I am trying to deploy my app using the Catalyst Runtime 5.90006 using
mod_perl  2.0.5 on apache 2.2.17.  I have all my configurations in a
virtual host file, can be found here
http://cloud.vendion.net/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=3D9e6836a8d9e633e=
2c81390d73423beb92df489aa
.

My app runs fine under the development server script that ships with
catalyst, but when I try to start Apache with this virtual host file it
crashes Apache.  If I enable -Debug in my Catalyst app
I can see where the app is being loaded with Apache and that mod_perl is
working, and that the virtual host file passed the Syntax check.  The only
clue that can find in my servers logs is:

httpd2-prefork[21582]: segfault at 7f1cac9f84c0 ip 00007f1cac9f84c0 sp
00007fffd98d11d8 error 14 in librt-2.11.3.so[7f1cae229000+8000]

Running Apache under gdb with debug symbols for apache and mod_perl
installed there is no stack trace generated but the only error I see is
this:

Syntax error on line 7 of /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/www.vendion.net.conf:
Invalid command 'PerlSwitches', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration

Program exited with code 01.

This is beyond baffling to me and I'm not sure what is at fault or what is
wrong, at first I thought it was an Apache/mod_perl issue and asked in the
forums for my servers Linux distro but have not gotten
anywhere there.  So now I turn to the list for help in this matter.