[Catalyst] Apache2 and mod_perl deployment issue

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Mon Nov 14 09:21:33 GMT 2011

On 14 Nov 2011, at 02:55, Adam Jimerson wrote:

> I am trying to deploy my app using the Catalyst Runtime 5.90006
> using mod_perl  2.0.5 on apache 2.2.17.  I have all my
> configurations in a virtual host file, can be found here http://cloud.vendion.net/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=9e6836a8d9e633e2c81390d73423beb92df489aa
> .
>
> My app runs fine under the development server script that ships with
> catalyst, but when I try to start Apache with this virtual host file
> it crashes Apache.  If I enable -Debug in my Catalyst app
> I can see where the app is being loaded with Apache and that
> mod_perl is working

You mean it is loading, not that it's working :)

> , and that the virtual host file passed the Syntax check.  The only
> clue that can find in my servers logs is:
>
> httpd2-prefork[21582]: segfault at 7f1cac9f84c0 ip 00007f1cac9f84c0
> sp 00007fffd98d11d8 error 14 in librt-2.11.3.so[7f1cae229000+8000]

Hmm, that's not particularly nice.. But it's not crashing inside perl
- so I'd guess this is an issue with your apache and/or mod_perl,
rather than with the perl code itself.

> Running Apache under gdb with debug symbols for apache and mod_perl
> installed there is no stack trace generated but the only error I see
> is this:

This would be as apache forks, and the gdb doesn't follow that..

> Syntax error on line 7 of /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/www.vendion.net.conf:
> Invalid command 'PerlSwitches', perhaps misspelled or defined by a
> module not included in the server configuration

How much of the config can you remove (and still get the segfault?)

Does it only take the PerlSwitches line and/or the <Perl> block (if so
it's _definitely_ an issue with your mod_perl/Apache, as with the
'PerlModule' statement removed, no code except mod_perl is actually
being loaded.

Cheers
t0m