[Catalyst] Catalyst and Puppet

Nick oinksocket at letterboxes.org
Mon Nov 14 23:34:24 GMT 2011

On 10/11/11 09:09, Tomas Doran wrote:
> Can share some of the pp code as an example if you want. It's not entirely nice
> enough to be reuseable, (e.g. as it has a chunk of per-company specific things
> in the templates it uses), but it works for me and could give you some ideas :)

Yes please, ideas are good.

> However this stuff isn't that awesome in a number of ways - everything is
> packaged and installed in system - meaning only one version of an app can be on
> a machine at once, and if you have two apps with conflicting dependency
> requirements - you're kinda screwed...

We hope to avoid that with a per-application local lib.

>> (We're using Puppet because it's got a relatively big user-base.  If there was a
>> comparable Perl alternative we might be using that instead.  I am a bit
>> surprised not to find one, since sys-admin is supposed to be one of Perl's
>> traditional domains.)
>
> There's cfengine if one wants to be traditional :)

Not me. The emphasis here is on "Perl" rather than "traditional".  Otherwise we
might as well just adopt Ruby tools wholesale.

> How much flexibility does your environment need with regards to deployment? As
> none of this stuff is rocket surgery, but the amount of flexibility you need
> will determine the amount of tool-building you're going to have to do to have a
> standard automated process :)

Yes.  Unfortunately none of this is well defined at the moment - we're still in
the process of defining something that fits our past and future needs.  I am
hoping our future needs shouldn't be especially unusual, but obviously we want
to learn from other people's mistakes and successes as much as possible.

Things like this are the general kind of information I'm looking for:

 http://blogs.perl.org/users/michael_j/2011/04/deploying-perl-code-with-git-locallib-minicpan-and-cpanminus.html

Any Puppet-specific prior-art is a bonus.

Cheers,