[Catalyst] Localisation

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 13:52:13 GMT 2011

On 12 October 2011 14:20, Duncan Garland <Duncan.Garland at motortrak.com>wrot=
e:

> (like not being able to handle a verbatim gettext PO), so let's fix
> Maketext.****
>
> ** **
>
> Maketext does handle PO files. I know it won=92t handle the plurals
> construct. Is there anything else it trips up on?****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Stephen Clouse [mailto:stephenclouse at gmail.com]
>
> **
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Andr=E9 Walker <andre at andrewalker.net>
> wrote:****
>
> I don't know if it helps, but I've been researching a little about
> localization recently, and I came across this article:
> http://rassie.org/archives/247
>
> In summary, it states Locale::Maketext shouldn't be used =97 we should be
> using Locale::TextDomain instead. I'm considering it for my current needs.
>
> Any thoughts?****
>

> The article is rather biased -- it points out the speck in Maketext's eye
> while ignoring gettext's planks.

Indeed.  I used Locale::Maketext
https://metacpan.org/search?q=3Dlocale%3A%3Amaketext
to handle the translations for 25 different language sites no problem

e.g.

search
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arabic/search/?scope=3Darabic&q=3D%D8%A3%D9%88%D8%A8%D=
8%A7%D9%85%D8%A7

weather   http://www.bbc.co.uk/portuguese/tempo/

The scenario the author describes about getting your translators to fill out
the .po file was realistic, although now it is more a case of email around a
spreadsheet and when it comes back cut and paste the phrases into a .po
file. It worked well, apart from when I found Myanmar (Burmese) wouldn't
copy and paste reliably into vi.

Regards, Peter