[Catalyst] How best not to use the system perl

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 30 14:39:24 GMT 2011

Hi,

I have got a new server that I want to put into production. To comply
with the manufacturer, I have installed RedHat 6.1 on it. Up till now
we have used Debian based machines and have been using the system
perl. That worked ok because all the necessay libperl*.deb could be
installed via the package manager. That's not an option with yum. I
know using the system perl is frowned upon by some so I'd like to do
the right thing before the server is deployed. AFAIK, there are two
options; 1) install a perl from source into somewhere like /usr/local
and set-up the environment so that's the perl that's used or 2) use
the system perl (5.10.1) and local::lib. I'm sure there are others
with my hardware set-up and I'd be interested in hearing what
approached they've taken. Similarly if there are other options to
consider or there are strong reasons for using one approach over an
other, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Dermot.