[Catalyst] How best not to use the system perl

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Sep 30 15:00:04 GMT 2011

On 09/30/2011 10:52 AM, Stuart Watt wrote:
> Perl 5.10 isn't really supported any more, so it is highly likely
> that at some stage the system Perl will get upgraded behind the
> scenes, breaking binary compatibility with modules even if they are
> in local::lib. The only safe solution is to use your own Perl (I'd
> not put it directly under /usr/local, but somewhere application
> specific, but then I am fairly paranoid). That way, no surprise
> upgrades will break your application.

For years, we've been putting our Perl under the

	/opt/scalable/

tree.  We've run into so many problems with system supplied Perl, that
in general, we simply ignore it.  We also have, in the past when we were
doing more Catalyst apps, shipped our baseline tree with everything
pre-installed ... it was *much* easier than going through a build,
*especially* due to the inherent brokenness of the WWW::Mechanize
modules, and the unfortunate dependencies upon them.

We haven't done much with Cat as of late, but we are definitely still
shipping our own Perl build (5.12.3 as of now, shortly to move to a
5.14.x by the beginning of the new year).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com