[Catalyst] How best not to use the system perl

Jorge Gonzalez jorge.gonzalez at daikon.es
Fri Sep 30 15:16:18 GMT 2011

Hi Dermot,

in my development machine I have a Perl environment installed in my home
dir with perlbrew. That way I can install anything I need without
disturbing (or using) the system perl. Later, when doing a deployment to
the production environment, I deploy my app and my full perlbrew
environment, directly copied from the development machine.

When deploying new versions in the production environment, I simply
rename the current version ($HOME/MyApp directory) to MyApp.pre20110930
(date; for example), and I do the same (if needed) to the perl
production environment (rename $HOME/perl5 to $HOME/perl5.pre20110930).
In this way I have a history of all my deployments (and most important:
the previous one). If there's the slightest problem with the new
deployment I can switch to the previous version in a matter of seconds.

Given the size of today's hard disks, it's no problem to have all these
files laying around, and it's saved my life (professional life, that is)
sometimes.

Regards
J.