[Catalyst] install_driver(mysql) failed:

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Apr 1 21:51:20 GMT 2012

On Apr 1, 2012, at 4:24 PM, Robyn Jonahs wrote:

> ln -s /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.18.dylib /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.18.dylib

I guess that works, but you usually don't want to mess around with system locations as updates from Apple might interfere with your changes there...)

> The problem may have been caused by the mysql installation from root and the perl installation being local?

If you run the otool command I recommended, you would know more.

I don't use mysql, so I haven't had this issue and don't know offhand what is specifically going on for you.

What likely happened is that DBD::mysql built with an incorrect install_name set for libmysqlclient.

The page you linked to showed how you can use install_name_tool to change the location dyld would look for to find that library at runtime (this gets set at build time).

It's also possible that the install_name in libmysqlclient got set wrong when it was built, so the wrong path got set on your DBD::mysql install (install_name_tool could be used to fix both, in that case).

By adding the symlink there, you're relying on the default fallback behavior of dyld (see DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH in man dyld) to find the lib.

--
Daniel J. Luke