[Catalyst] Re: Advent 2012 -- Catalyst in Nine Steps -- Kudos to Octavian

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:12:57 GMT 2012

From: "John Karr" <brainbuz at brainbuz.org>

>I was just looking at Octavian Rasnita's 9 part contribution to the Advent
> Calendar.
>
> This is exactly what I needed when I was learning Catalyst, and would have
> made it a lot easier.
>
> I would love to see this approach carried out to a larger book for
> beginners
> and this article added to the main Catalyst Documentation area on CPAN.

Thank you John. I'm glad you found my approach useful. It is a slower way to
teach something step by step, but I like that way because it doesn't assume
that some things are known beforehand, but they are explained step by step.
Yes, I am thinking to write a Catalyst book for beginners, but for the
moment is just an idea.
(We all know that Catalyst is the most used Perl web framework, but I don't
know for sure how much interest still is in Catalyst these days. I am
thinking to how many days remained without articles in Catalyst advent last
year, and this year also...)

A book that shows how to use Catalyst as we use it these days should also
explain at least a little other modules like Moose, DBIC, Template-Toolkit,
FormFu, Plack, because there are no books for them, (but only for
Template-Toolkit), and without knowing those modules, it will appear that
Catalyst is very hard to understand. All of them have good POD
documentation, but Catalyst also has POD documentation, however that
documentation is mostly a kind of reference, but a book is usually prefered
by a beginner, because it doesn't just tell how to do the things, but it
also tell why to do it that way and not in a different way.

I have sent the articles for the Catalyst advent in POD format, and if they
are considered good enough, I would be glad if they will be added in the
CPAN Catalyst documentation.

Octavian