[Catalyst] Re: Advent 2012 -- Catalyst in Nine Steps -- Kudos toOctavian

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:01:26 GMT 2012

From: "John Napiorkowski" <jjn1056 at yahoo.com>

----- Original Message -----
> From: Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com>

Yes, this is true. "modernizing" is the key word as you said in your
original message, but I skipped it.
Maybe it can be a good idea to present the modernized article, and also add
a link in it to the old article, to make more obvious what is changing, and
what's the benefit (because it wouldn't be helpful to just tell that now we
should use "use Moose; extends '...';" instead of just "use parent '...'".

But... maybe it could be also helpful to modernize Catalyst modules on CPAN,
because some of them use Moose, and some of them don't and some helpers
generate models that use Moose and others generate models that don't use it,
and this may be a little confusing for newbies.

> And yes, I think you are right about the reasons of not too much
> contribution in
> the last period...
>
> Maybe it would require a smaller effort to just create a page with links
> to the
> recommended articles, and I think the recommended articles for a beginner
> should
> be those who allow him to create a web site with little effort, not the
> best
> posible which may be hard to understand by a beginner.

> No doubt, we could easily do that!

OK, I visited Catalyst Advent, and I made a list of articles which I think
that may be helpful. Some of them need to be modernized. Here below is the
list. It is a kind of vote for them. The other list members can also give
their vote pro or against and also express their opinions or propose other
articles. It could be helpful if somebody can make a list of articles from
main Catalyst web site that might be also included (eventually modernized).
I don't know how many of the Catalyst developers would have the time to do
that modernization though...

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 11 - Caching
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/11

(2007) Making your Catalyst App Cache-friendly
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/11

(2010) Painless Memcached Configuration With Catalyst & DBIx::Class
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/3

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 15 - Sessions
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/15

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 16 - Adding RSS feeds
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/16

If there are better ways to add an RSS feed, it should be modernized.

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 18 - Catalyst::View::TT
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/18

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 19 - Testing
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/19

(2006) Day 7 - Testing with an External Web Server
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/7

(2006) Day 17 - Testing Catalyst Controllers
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/17

Eventually create a single big article or a serie of articles regarding
testing.

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 22 - Action Types
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/22

(2005) Catalyst Advent - Day 23 - Static::Simple
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2005/23

(2009) Delivering Static Media with Catalyst
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/16

(2006) Day 1 - Getting started with Catalyst and Subversion
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/1

Maybe it can be modernized to use distributed source control systems like
git and mercurial.

(2006) Day 2 - Handel
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/2

(2007) A Future Look at Mango
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/12

(2006) Day 3 - The Layout of a Catalyst Application
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/3

(2006) Day 9 - Web Services with Catalyst::Action::REST
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/9

(2009) Writing REST web services with Catalyst::Controller::REST
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/19

(2006) Day 10 - The Chained Dispatch Type
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/10

(2006) Day 13 - Adding Custom Headers
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/13

(2006) Day 18 - I18N
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/18

(2010) Internationalising Catalyst, Part 1
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/9

(2010) Internationalising Catalyst, Part 2
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/20

(2006) Day 24 - The Catalyst Community
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/24

:-)

(2007) Application Design Techniques
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/3

(2007) Catalyst + Open Flash Chart: Fancy graphs with minimal fuss
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/4

(2008) Making sparklines with Chart::Clicker
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/3

(2012) DRAWING GRAPH CHARTS
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/19

(2007) Adding Authentication to your Catalyst App
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/5

(2007) Inline Authentication Without Redirection
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/6

(2008) Progressive Authentication with Catalyst (Using OpenID)
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/19

(2011) Login, Authorization and User Administration
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/15

(2007) local::lib and Catalyst
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/8

(2007) Day 13 - $c->uri_for fun and profit
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/13

(2007) Catalyst Configuration: A to Z
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/15

(2008) Day 10. Dealing with Config::General's inability to provide single
item arrays.
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/10

(2009) Configuration layouts
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/11

full text search and searching by location)
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/16

(2007) HTML::FormFu - Handles forms, so you don't have to
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/20

(2007) DBIx::Class::Tutorial::Part1
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/22

(2007) Using plain classes as Catalyst models
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/24

(2008) Catalyst and nginx
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/2

(2008) Making Catalyst Sites Shine with Varnish
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/14

(2008) Day 8. Some notes on ACCEPT_CONTEXT, with and without antlers.
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/8

(2008) Custom URL styles with CatalystX::CRUD
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/12

(2011) Easy CRUD for your Catalyst App
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/11

(2008) Day 16. Catalyst 5.80
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/16

(2008) WrapCGI: CGI.pm in your Catalyst app.
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/18

(2009) Running CGI Scripts Under Catalyst
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/6

(2009) Loadable Traits for Catalyst Components
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/10

(2009) How DBIx::Class::ResultSet::WithMetaData can help keep your
controllers clean
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/12

(2009) Keeping Your Model Reusable
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/18

(2011) Get fat this Christmas
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/3

(2009) A Tour of DBIx::Class::Helpers
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/20

(2009) An HTTP API in 5 minutes
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/21

(2009) An AJAX CRUD Interface with Catalyst and jQuery
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/22

(2010) Getting Started with Catalyst and jQuery (and jQuery UI)
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/13

(2009) Plack - A Fantastic Layer To Make Your App Deployment Easier
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2009/23

(2010) Creating an Easy to Manage Search Engine with Catalyst and
ElasticSearch
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/2

(2010) Adding Simple Excel Support
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/6

(2010) Input Verification with Data::Manager
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/10

(2010) Creating reusable actions with Moose::Role - an example
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/22

(2010) Moose::Role, Moose::Util and DBIx::Class based Models (multiaction
revisited)
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/23

(2011) The ControllerRole ChainAction Massacre (Part 1)
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/10

(2011) The ControllerRole ChainAction Massacre (Part 2)
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/17

(2012) Action Roles for cleaner, less stashy Catalyst Actions
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/16

(2010) Access the Twitter API through Catalyst
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/15

(2010) Integrating Facebook into your Catalyst application
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/24

(2011) 2011 Reflections - 5.90 and beyond.
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/1

The modules discussed in that article can be helpful to be presented...

(2011) Checking for leaks in MyApp.
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/2

(2011) Keep your libraries organized
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/4

(2011) Deploy Catalyst Applications with Starman and Apache
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/16

(2011) A Git Tutorial
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2011/22

(2012) Catalyst in 9 steps
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/7

...and the other 8 articles of this serie.

(2012) Dynamic forms with HTML::FormFu
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/17

(2012) SCALING IMAGES ON DEMAND
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/20

(2012) HTML::FormHandler & jQuery Validator
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/23

(2012) Combining assets
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2012/25

Octavian