[Catalyst] ANNOUNCE TRIAL Catalyst release - PLEASE TEST!

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Mon Feb 6 21:12:58 GMT 2012

Hi

The latest Catalyst TRIAL release (5.90008) has a significant amount
of cleanup and refactoring to enable asynchronous applications.

It shouldn't break anything, and works for me - but I need people to
try this out with their real apps and the plugins you're using -
please have a quick go with it, or even better run the tests for your
apps against it and tell me if I broke your app!

A full changelog, with details of the specific changes in the release
is included below as always.

Cheers
t0m

--

5.90008 - TRIAL 2012-02-06 20:49:00

  New features and refactoring:
   - Much of the Catalyst::Engine code has been moved into
Catalyst::Request
     and Catalyst::Response, to be able to better support asynchronous
web
     servers such as Twiggy, by making the application engine more
reenterant.

     This change is as a prequel to full asynchronous support inside
Catalyst
     for AnyEvent and IO::Async backends, which allow highly scaleable
streaming
     (for applications such as multi-part XML HTTPRequests, and
Websockets).

  Deprecations:
   - This means that the $c->engine->env method to access the PSGI
environment
     is now deprecated. The accessor for the PSGI env is now on
Catalyst::Request
     as per applications which were using Catalyst::Engine::PSGI

     Catalyst::Engine::PSGI is now considered fully deprecated.

   - The private _dump method in Catalyst::Log is now deprecated. The
dumper is
     not pluggable and which dumper to use should be a user choice.
Using
     an imported Dump() or Dumper() function is less typing than $c-
 >log->_dump
     and as this method is unused anywhere else in Catalyst, it has
been scheduled
     for removal as a cleanup. Calling this method will now emit a
stack trace
     on first call (but not on subsequent calls).

  Back compatibility fixes:
   - Applications still using Catalyst::Engine::PSGI as they rely on
     $c->request->env - this is now the provided (and recommended) way
of
     accessing the raw PSGI environment.

  Tests:
   - Spurious warnings have been removed from the test suite