[Catalyst] Authentication Using self_check?

James D Bearden james at nontrivial.org
Wed Feb 8 04:07:14 GMT 2012

Hello, and thanks in advance. The short version is, how do I use the
self_check method to validate a user? I believe it involves extending
Catalyst::Authentication::User, and I am having trouble figuring out how
to do that.

The longer version is that I have an existing system I am trying to
convert over to Catalyst that has been running on MySQL for over a
decade. All the user passwords are stored using OLD_PASSWORD (not SHA1
like they are by default now), and making thousands of users change
their passwords is not an option. So I think my approach should be to
somehow implement check_password to use the MySQL OLD_PASSWORD function
to authenticate the password.

Also, the application has a decade worth of battle hardened SQL queries,
so I am not going to be using any standard ORM like DBIx or DBIC,
therefore I am trying to use Catalyst::Model::DBI for authentication. My
configuration is below, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

  authentication => {
    default_realm => 'users',
    realms        => {
      users => {