[Catalyst] Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade)

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:09:46 GMT 2012

On 13/02/2012, at 11:56 PM, Evan Carew wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Compiling my own perl build was really a last
> ditch option I regarded as admitting defeat, i.e., fixing / finding the
> actual problem wa deemed to difficult.

I used to think that too.  Now (given I strongly prefer the relocatable perl approach) I find that I very rarely need to build a new perl.  And it saves me many headaches with worrying about, and fighting with the system perl.  Especially with cpanminus.  But I am me and you are you.  I take the blame[1] for local perl infrastructure on debian, ubuntu, os x, windows and solaris systems, and this approach works well for me (I use strawberry relocatable for windows, which means I find solaris a bigger headache than windows for the most part - the others are pretty much incident free).  Now that we have cpanminus I would never go back to OS package manager based systems if I could help it.

[1] Blame is not the same as responsibility.