[Catalyst] nginx/FastCGI configuration issues

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:59:19 GMT 2012

On 16/02/2012, at 4:02 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Executive summary: new deployment on nginx 1.0.5 and FastCGI; my
> Catalyst apps are in non-root locations. When I go to the base, e.g.
> http://mysite.com/incomings, $c->req->uri thinks I'm at
> http://mysite.com/incomings//incomings. This is causing problems with
> redirects.
>
> I'm in the process of moving a physical server to a VM in EC2, and have
> taken the opportunity to move my Cat apps from Apache/mod_perl to
> nginx/FastCGI. The latter combination is proving to be vastly faster.
> The server is running Ubuntu 11.10, and nginx 1.0.5.
>
> I am having one issue that I can't resolve, however. When I first visit
> an app at its root, e.g. http://mysite.com/incomings, I get redirected
> over SSH to https://mysite.com/incomings/login. After successful login I
> am then returned to http://mysite.com/incomings//incomings. A bunch of
> testing and logging has revealed that when I first hit the site,
> $c->req->uri thinks that I'm at http://mysite.com/incomings//incomings,
> so the redirect is indeed going to where it thinks it originally was.

Can you provide a minimal test app?  Something that followed the pattern of t/optional-lighttpd|apache*t tests in Catalyst-Runtime would be useful (to polish and fold into Catalyst--Runtime in due course), but not essential.  As a minimum, a minimal app exposing the problem with a documented way to run a self-contained nginx/fastcgi instance would be useful.

Having said that I found the following two things about django online that suggest a similar problem over there:

http://serverfault.com/questions/134863/nginx-fastcgi-problems-with-django-double-slashes-in-url
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4056967/django-double-slash-in-urls-issue-multiple-webservers-apache-and-nginx