[Catalyst] RESTful response codes.

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Feb 23 23:25:06 GMT 2012

Here's a discussion I'm having with a consumer of an API.

For a RESTful service they would like the API to ALWAYS include a response
body that includes a { status_block =3D> { status =3D> 'success" } }.    I,=
 of
course, point out that HTTP already provides a complete list of http status
codes.  But, they suggest that there might be a time when additional status
is needed.   I cannot think of case where that would happen.  PUT a
resource and it's either successful or not -- there's no gray area.

The HTTP spec http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html seems
pretty clear.

Can anyone think of a reason to always return a status?  Or better, any
references that would be more helpful or convincing than the spec listed
above?

Thanks,

-- =

Bill Moseley