[Catalyst] Running Catalyst apps with start_server

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Sun Jan 22 11:59:14 GMT 2012

On 21 Jan 2012, at 22:16, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> But of course, it doesn't go in the background...
> I can put it to run in the background if I add a " &" after the
> command line start_server ... and I've seen that if I do that it
> works and I can also add or remove workers with kill -TTIN|TTOU,
> but... is it a good way? Or it is better recommended to run starman
> directly?

Any way you like is fine - as we're a ubuntu shop at work, we're
mostly deploying things just using upstart to start a (not
daemonizing) server - which works well for us.

You could alternatively try using CatalystX::Script::Server::Starman -
this should make your normal myapp_server be starman, and then try the
deamonize and pidfile options from the Catalyst script? Does that work
for you any better (And I'll be more willing help to debug that as
it's my code, and I don't use Server::Starter - sorry!)?

Cheers
t0m