[Catalyst] Long Polling / Comet with Catalyst

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Jul 6 00:52:26 GMT 2012

I have a situation where a client (browser) needs to wait for a long
running task.  We are using Apache so holding the connection open isn't
really an option.  Polling is not a lot better -- especially when there's a
problems slowing down the long running tasks (we get flooded with polls).
 Frankly, I'd rather redesign the UI to avoid making the client wait, but
that's a different project.

I'd like to long poll or push out a notification when the long running task
is complete.

With Plack integration now is there a way to do long polling with Plack and
Catalyst?

Anyone have experience with Web::Hippie or PocketIO for doing something
like this?

Thanks,

-- =

Bill Moseley