[Catalyst] using perldoc on VM

John Deighan john.deighan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:30:04 GMT 2012

Today I got to Chapter 7 in the Catalyst Tutorial. In there, I found the
following:

Note: If you are following along in Debian 6 or Ubuntu, you will need to
install the perl-doc package to use the perldoc command. Use 'sudo
aptitude install perl-doc' to do that.

Well, though that's late in the tutorial to point that out, it would be
great if it worked. But it did not:

catalyst at catalyst:~/MyApp$ sudo aptitude install perl-doc
No candidate version found for perl-doc
No candidate version found for perl-doc
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Also, since there is a suggestion below for "checking my configured
sources", here is the output from the suggested grep command:

root at catalyst:/home/catalyst/MyApp# grep -Ev '^(#| )' /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

The blank lines are part of the grep output. Can anyone point me to what
I have to change to get perldoc working?