[Catalyst] Managing module regressions.
dakkar at thenautilus.net
Fri Jun 29 18:12:00 GMT 2012
Here's what we do:
- we have a (VCS-managed) set of tarballs downloaded from CPAN
- we run a CPAN-like server providing those tarballs
- we have a rather large set of distroprefs to skip unreliable tests
and apply local patches
- we usually update to the latest CPAN (and perl) releases
- sometimes we have to hold back on a set of modules because of
problems (currently we can't update Catalyst, for example, due to
some internal libraries exploiting undocumented behaviours; yes,
we're going to fix our libraries)
- we smoke the whole set of modules whenever we update a batch of them
- every iteration, we build a package (in our case, RPM) with the
version of perl and all modules that we are going to use
- we develop and run all our test suites against that package
- the application packages require the specific perl/cpan package
version they were developed on
It works, and it's not that much work.
Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574
6FE2 40EA 9883 7519 3F88
key id = 0x75193F88
River: "Mal. Bad. In the Latin."
--Episode #2, "The Train Job"
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/catalyst/attachments/20120629/b8656b80/signature.pgp
More information about the Catalyst