[Catalyst] Log::Dispatch plugin is not working when run in the background

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Mar 2 20:29:13 GMT 2012

On 2 Mar 2012, at 10:38, Robert Rothenberg wrote:

> This appears to be fixed by adding the
>
>  close_after_write true
>
> option. I'm not sure that I understand *why* not using this option causes it
> to exit or just not write anything, but that seems to be what happens.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Catalyst of Log::Dispatch issue.

It's a Catalyst issue.

--background is using MooseX::Daemonize, which closes all open file handles when backgrounding.

close_after_write works around this by re-opening the file for each write, however that's not amazing (as you do many more syscalls than necessary).

I have just pushed a fix for this into master - any chance you could try it out and confirm that the issue is fixed for you?

Cheers
t0m