[Catalyst] Remove Catalyst and start over?

Robyn Jonahs learn.catalyst at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 06:51:33 GMT 2012

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the comments. The problem has been resolved.

I removed the .bashrc pointers to the ActivePerl and then installed
perlbrew with what I think was the system perl, I had two other versions.
FYI I was using active perl since for a perl NOOB, the perl web page said
it was an easy pre-configured way to upgrade to new perl versions... plus I
was away from a fast, stable internet connection at the time of the
installation to 5.12.

I used active perl to make a local installation of perl 5.14.2 and set up
all the mcpan and such and installed Catalyst::Devel from cpanm. It works
now for creating a new Cat app and for the app that I started when working
through the "Definitive Guide to Catalyst" a few years ago and not getting
out of Chapter 3 at that time.

I hope that this is clear enough to help with other problems with
installing and moose problems. moose-outdated was appeared for me as I said
after getting cpanm and doing cpanm Moose.

Thanks everyone, off to play with Catalyst.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Matthias Dietrich <mdietrich at cpan.org>wrot=
e:

> [...]
> Class::Load module
> # Can't continue after import errors at
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Util.pm line 12
> # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Util.pm line 12.
> # Compilation failed in require at
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Meta/Class.pm line 28.
> # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Meta/Class.pm line 28.
> # Compilation failed in require at
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose.pm line 28.
> # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose.pm line 28.
> # Compilation failed in require at lib/CrashCOurse/Point.pm line 2.
> # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at lib/CrashCOurse/Point.pm line 2.
> # Compilation failed in require at (eval 4) line 2.
> # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 4) line 2.
> Bail out!
> # Testing CrashCOurse::Point , Perl 5.012003, perl
> Can't locate object method "new" via package "CrashCOurse::Point" at
> t/00-load.t line 11.
> 1..1
> # Looks like you failed 1 test of 1.
> # Looks like your test exited with 255 just after 1.
>
> I am out of ideas for where to find the problem.
>

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Robyn Jonahs <learn.catalyst at gmail.com>w=
rote:

>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Matthias Dietrich <mdietrich at cpan.org>w=
rote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Am 23.03.2012 um 19:02 schrieb Robyn Jonahs:
>>>
>>> cpan> upgrade Moose::.*
>>>

>>> try: `upgrade Moose` inside of the CPAN shell.
>>>
>>> Instead of using CPAN.pm I recommend using cpanm.  Install it by
>>> copypasting this into your terminal:
>>>
>>>    curl -L http://cpanmin.us | perl - --sudo App::cpanminus
>>>
>>> Then run `cpanm Moose` (prepend "sudo" if you need).  It's easier and
>>> much faster :-).
>>>
>>> And because you're new to Perl: don't copy scripts from a module
>>> release, install the module instead and use the scripts afterwards (exc=
ept
>>> you know what you're doing).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>  Matthias
>>>
>>>         --
>>> rainboxx Software Engineering
>>> Matthias Dietrich
>>>
>>> rainboxx Matthias Dietrich   |  Phone: +49 7141 / 2 39 14 71
>>> K=F6nigsallee 43               |  Mobil: +49  151 / 50 60 78 64
>>> 71638 Ludwigsburg            |  WWW  :  http://www.rainboxx.de

>>> Searchable archive:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
>>> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
>>>

>> Thanks guys.
>>
>> CPAN and cpanm both say that Moose is up to date.
>>
>> cpanm Moose
>> Moose is up to date. (2.0402)
>>
>> I also found the location of the catalyst.pl script and made sure that
>> my PATH saw it. This fixed the problem where I could not call catalyst.p=
lfrom the command line. However I still get these errors when I try to
>> create a new Catalyst App...
>>
>> test$ catalyst.pl MyApp
>>
>> "load_first_existing_class" is not exported by the Class::Load module
>> Can't continue after import errors at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Util.pm line 12
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Util.pm line 12.
>> Compilation failed in require at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Meta/Class.pm line 28.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose/Meta/Class.pm line 28.
>> Compilation failed in require at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose.pm line 28.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Moose.pm line 28.
>> Compilation failed in require at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Catalyst/Helper.pm line 2.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/lib/Catalyst/Helper.pm line 2.
>> Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/bin/
>> catalyst.pl line 26.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/site/bin/
>> catalyst.pl line 26.
>> test$
>>

>> Any ideas? Is this a path that I am missing to some Moose resource
>> rather than part of Moose?
>>
>> temp$ echo $PATH
>>
>> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/s=
bin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin