[Catalyst] Vagrant / Developing with VM / NFS performance

Drew Taylor drew at drewtaylor.com
Mon May 14 12:04:19 GMT 2012

Hi Toby,

I'm not (yet) using a VM with my new job, but at my last position I
was running Parallels which hosted a VM running FreeBSD. In order to
be able to use my OS X text editor of choice, I hosted the files on
the OS X side and exported via NFS to the FreeBSD VM. The performance
was good enough and it solved my problem. The catalyst restarter
didn't seem to have any problems with this approach, though it
sometimes took a couple seconds to see file changes.

I suspect when I do begin using a local VM I'll take the same
approach, though this time it will be using MacVIM instead of
TextMate. :)

Thanks,
Drew

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm playing around with Vagrant[1] to manage my development VMs and
> I'm running into some NFS-troubles and just wanted to hear if and how
> you guys are developing with a guest OS.
>
> The thing is that Vagrant by default configures the VM to export a
> shared directory (where my Catalyst app lives) from the host OS (OS X
> in my case) to the guest VM (Debian). I'm using the alternative NFS
> mount option because VirtualBox's shared folder support is known to be
> super slow. Problem is, Catalyst::Restarter doesn't pick up changes to
> my files. I suppose this is due to NFS doing attribute caching. If I
> turn this off (with "noac" in the NFS mount options), the Catalyst
> server picks up the changes more quickly but it also takes a full
> minute to start (as opposed to 3-4 seconds when the files are local).
>
> Having the app locally on my host and exporting it into the VM feels
> more natural to me, but the performance issues really make this a
> deal-breaker. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve things?
> How do you share your files between your VM and your host system?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> --Toby
>

> [1] http://vagrantup.com/

Opera2Parliament - a 3 day bike ride to support Lymphoma Australia.
Please consider donating using the link below.
http://lymphomafundraising.org.au/opera2parliament_2012