[Catalyst] Best practice for configuration file placement

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri May 18 11:59:38 GMT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Luis Mu=F1oz <luisemunoz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've written a Catalyst application that will be deployed in Debian. We
> want to keep config files under /etc/some_app/ so naturally, I would like
> to add this path to the ones to be searched by ConfigLoader. The
> application's main .pm contains:

A small side note here.   Our operations people (that expect things to be
in their normal places like /etc) wanted this change too.  It was a point
of debate and we ended up keeping the app config in standard Catalyst
location.  The reason is so we could run multiple versions of the same app
on the same server if we needed, or deploy in different directories and use
symlinks.   Our apps have more than one config file so trying to determine
which should be in /etc and which should not was not very clear, either.

So, I would just make sure you consider this change and how you plan on
using and deploying apps long term.   Having it in /etc might make sense
for you.

What we do have is a file in /etc/ that says what the current "mode" is
(i.e. staging, production) that the init.d scripts use.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org