[Catalyst] LDAP question

Kenneth S Mclane ksmclane at us.ibm.com
Mon May 21 16:02:37 GMT 2012

I have no control over the LDAP server, How would I change things so the
submitted username and password would be inserted as the credentials to be
used as the initial bind?

From:
Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net>
To:
The elegant MVC web framework <catalyst at lists.scsys.co.uk>
Date:
05/21/2012 10:57 AM
Re: [Catalyst] LDAP question

On 21 May 2012, at 16:42, Robert Wohlfarth wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Kenneth S Mclane <ksmclane at us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> They are apparently doing the initial bind with the credentials
submitted by the user, I am getting invalid credentials the way I have it
above, if I change it to anonymous I get a "LDAP Error while searching for
user: No such object".  I could use some suggestions.

> I dealt with an LDAP server that required you to login to query your own
information. The standard Catalyst::Authentication::Store::LDAP does not
work with this model.

Yes it does! What makes you think it doesn't?

> So I wrote a credential module that did nothing more than connect to the
LDAP server. If the connection succeeded, then that user is authenticated.

That sort of strategy is usually a bad idea, as you're mandating that you
have 1 flat level of LDAP for users - you have to know the DN to bind as
initially, and so if you do this, you have to concatenate the username to
a DN in some way - which means if you ever reorganise your LDAP (for
example putting users into grouped OU containers), then your auth will
stop working.

Cheers
t0m

List: Catalyst at lists.scsys.co.uk