[Catalyst] $c->user and session questions

Kenneth S Mclane ksmclane at us.ibm.com
Thu May 31 13:00:48 GMT 2012

I have an LDAP server authenticating my users. The look up returns a ton
of fields in a hash. My questions are as follows:

1. What happens to this data/information? Is it stored in the $c->user
object?

2. If it is, how do I access it?

3. Is there a simple way to look at what is stored in the user object?

4. I would like to store the users role in the session object so it can be
accessed for authorization purposes. The docs only have an example of
storing stuff in a shopping cart, which is a bit more than I need, but
there isn't enough there for me to figure out how to store just one thing,
and retrieve it, of course. Can someone show me how to do this?

Here is a sample of what comes back from the ldap lookup:

SEQUENCE {
051D   11:         STRING = 'hrFirstName'
052A    9:         SET {
0530    7:           STRING = 'KENNETH'
0539     :         }
0539     :       }

I would like to use this as a greeting string in my site wrapper, but I'm
not sure how to reference it, or if it is even in the object.