[Catalyst] Progress bar

Toby Corkindale toby at dryft.net
Wed Oct 24 04:33:28 GMT 2012

I was just investigating why the upload progress bar was broken on one
of my apps.. came here to make a post and discovered this thread.
Well, at least that's the first question answered!

Given the caveats around Starman and WebKit browsers, are there any
other suggestions for how to do upload progress indicators?
Is this something we can do via HTML5 neater?  Are there any
open-source Flash implementations?

Cheers,
Toby

On 22 October 2012 09:42, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:
>>
>> And UploadProgress is shipped, should be available once it's reindexed
>> (permissions cock up), which should be shortly :)
>

> So, when running under Starman the uploads are buffered before chunked to
> Catalyst, which means the progress bar data isn't updated until the upload
> has completed.  This renders the upload progress bar pretty useless with
> Starman.
>
> The progress bar works fine running the app under mod_perl.
>
> I suppose using something like Nginx or Perlbal in front of the app would
> work (because those do cache uploads but also provide a hook for reading
> upload progress).   But, we already have hardware load balancers in front of
> the app, so don't really need an extra proxy in front of every web server.
>
> Any other options?   Using a upload/request caching proxy is probably THE
> correct answer since don't really want to tie up the app with slow uploads.
>
> I guess I should test, but I wonder if there's a limit on what Starman will
> buffer -- I assume it's buffering in memory.
>

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley at hank.org

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world