[Catalyst] Why is $c undefined?

Craig Chant craig at homeloanpartnership.com
Mon Oct 29 21:01:36 GMT 2012

>>I'm not sure you'd really want $c->dbh anyway, since that's doesn't
>>sound like you would be encapsulating the Model very well, and sounds
>>like you'd have SQL in your controller code?

This was what I thought and am trying to avoid, I am doing my best to keep concern with SQL trot he Model and any action/method that requires data to use the Model and have the business logic kept in the Model, so that only actions->routes and the additional application helper methods are in the controller.

I have read and seen frameworks such as Mojolicious encourage a shrinkage of the Model and move alot of functionality to the Controller, so there is a paradigm which seems to imply it is ok to do more stuff in the Controller, but I am leaning towards having the main code in the Model and then bolting it together via the Controller.

So for example the authentication for the user is in the Controller but it simply utilises the Model

EG.

sub AuthenticateUser {

    my ( $self, $c ) = @_;

    $c->session;
    if(!$c->model('Members')->LogCheck($c)){
        $c->forward('/login/login');
    }

}

Dunno, this is all new to me and I'm refactoring as I go, so I doubt I'll get it right first time! Does anyone?