[Catalyst] Global 'helper' methods

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Oct 30 22:50:15 GMT 2012

On 30 Oct 2012, at 15:03, Craig Chant wrote:

> Plus I always felt loading an entire module to re-arrange a tiny string seems a bit OTT?

Yes, it is :)

If you know that re-arranging a string is all you're ever going to be doing, then sure - don't' do that..

However, usually when you're dealing with the US, then you're _also_ dealing with a time zone offset, right? You don't want to only show local format dates, but also local time zones.

As a case in point, right now (for this working week), we're out of daylight savings time in the UK, however they're still in daylight savings times on the east of the US…

I for one do not want to care about this sort of stuff, ever.

> Dunno, what's the overhead of DateTime?

Significantly less than the overhead of caring about time zones, ever. :-D

If you're only doing day resolution (or only UTC), it's less convincing…

But basically, I wouldn't care unless it specifically shows up as slow in a real profile - "premature optimisation is the root of all evil", etc.

Cheers
t0m