[Catalyst] Using Catalyst on MS SQL DB that has tables with no primary keys

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Sat Sep 15 02:38:41 GMT 2012

Brian Katzung wrote:
> If I recall correctly, I read in a cookbook somewhere (can't seem to
> find it now) that for rows with no primary key, you can use:
>
> __PACKAGE__->set_primary_key(__PACKAGE__->columns);
>
> (making the entire row be a multi-column primary key).

Well that is indeed how things should work; when there is no primary or unique
key explicitly defined, there should be an implicit one ranging over all the
columns.  However, SQL doesn't work that way and would allow duplicate rows, and
so then the question is what behavior do you expect your Perl layer to have?  If
you edit a duplicate row, is it supposed to change all copies or just one? --
Darren Duncan