[Catalyst] Catalyst I18N::DBI prevent connect at startup

Stefan maillist at s.profanter.me
Thu Jun 6 18:40:04 GMT 2013

Hi!

I'm using Catalyst with the Catalyst::Plugin::I18N::DBI module.

The catalyst page is served through apache2 with mod_perl.

When starting apache2, the I18N module tries to connect immediately to the
MySQL server.

Here comes the problem:

At boot, apache2 tries to start before MySQL. Since MySQL is not yet
running, the I18N module fails with the following error (of course because
no MySQL):

DBI connect('database:localhost:3306','User',...) failed: Can't connect to
local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Catalyst/Plugin/I18N/DBI.pm line 196.

This prevents apache2 to start correctly thus I have to start it always
manually after each boot which works fine because now mysql is running.

Is there a possibility to prevent this early connection or force a lazy
connection?

Thanks

Stefan