[Catalyst] $c->write() buffering?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Nov 7 21:07:18 GMT 2013

I've done some more experimentation and this doesn't end up working very well for us. For the list archive:

You can accomplish what I was going for using mod_fastcgi and a standalone FCGI-based script. mod_fastcgi needs to be configured with its -flush option /and/ you need to be able to call FCGI::Flush($request) when you want output sent out to the client.

Catalyst::Engine:FastCGI doesn't expose the FCGI request (lexical variable in the run() method), though, so there's not an easy way to do this (and it's icky anyway). Catalyst::Engine::FastCGI should possibly FCGI::Flush in its write() method [note that Plack::Handler::FCGI doesn't expose the FCGI request either and also doesn't call FCGI::Flush anywhere].

So, I guess no one is doing $c->res->write() with mod_fastcgi and http://wiki.catalystframework.org/wiki/longcomputations should probably be edited to explain that this doesn't work (unless you pad each write() you want to go to the client to 8k).

We'll likely implement some AJAX ui (possibly tying up 2 catalyst processes instead of just one and/or fork/exec a worker) for now, until we can get some time to move things over to a job queue that isn't as horrible as the one we currently have :-)

--
Daniel J. Luke