[Catalyst] Can't detach from root / create action object

Craig Chant craig at homeloanpartnership.com
Wed Nov 27 14:51:23 GMT 2013

Hi Andre,

That is clearer, and Alexander provided me with a working solution, but it doesn't make sense with your example.

$action is an action object isn't it?

So Alexander's example has :-

$c->detach($c->controller('ComplianceUpdate')->action_for('index'));

So I assume

$c->controller('ComplianceUpdate')->action_for('index');

is returning an action object that is passed to detach.

However, your example just has a string path '/a/my_action_1' , how is that an action object?

Are you  saying detach (for the single argument signature) takes a URL path and that $action is just a string scalar with a URL path in it and not an action object reference as I got the impression?

Or are there two single argument signatures to detach() one takes an Action object and one takes a URL path string?

Because I did a Data::Dumper of

die Dumper($c->controller('ComplianceUpdate')->action_for('index')) and I got an object!

"$VAR1 = bless( {
                 'namespace' => 'complianceupdates',
                 'name' => 'index',
                 'class' => 'HLP_Members::Controller::ComplianceUpdates',
                 'attributes' => {
                                   'Path' => [
                                               'complianceupdates'
                                             ],
                                   'Args' => [
                                               '0'
                                             ]
                                 },
                 'reverse' => 'complianceupdates/index',
                 'code' => sub { "DUMMY" }
               }, 'Catalyst::Action' );"

Having just tested with : -

$c->detach('/complianceupdates/index');

is working.

So the question now is which is better...

$c->controller('ComplianceUpdate')->action_for('index');

or

$c->detach('/complianceupdates/index');

Pass a string or a pass an object?

Thanks,