[Catalyst] Working a Solr Model

John Karr brainbuz at brainbuz.org
Sun Sep 29 07:54:48 GMT 2013

I'm commencing a project that is going to use Solr because it will be
search intensive.

My research hasn't turned up a lot in terms of discussion and how tos
for either Solr and Perl or Solr and Catalyst. There are two CPAN
modules which I've been experimenting with,   WebService::Solr and
Apache::Solr.
WebService::Solr only implements the LWP agent part of working with
Solr, which still leaves one to extract the actual JSON what LWP gives
you, plus it has fatal wide-character issues that "use utf8::all" isn't
able to fix, and also does not support xml and csv (other formats solr
can provide). Apache::Solr is much nicer in that it provides something
resumbling a dbic result set, but I've already encountered a few things
that seem like bugs and sending the resultsetlike object to the stash in
the same way as a dbic resultset doesn't seem to work the same way.

Are other people using Solr based models? if so are you using either of
the two CPAN modules or something else? Do you have examples and or
notes you can share?