[Catalyst] Plugin attributes and Moose

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 15:07:22 GMT 2015

I'm not sure how to solve your problem, explanation wise, however I might wonder if we can find a way to use a role, either Moose or Moo, instead of a class for your plugin.  I find its a more sane implementation.  I know a lot of legacy stuff from pre Catamoose doesn't do that but I can't think of a good reason why we'd not wish for them to all be converted.  Basically what I think of a plugin in Catalyst is just a role but we didn't have roles at the time Catalyst was first done so we were stuck rolling our own.  There's a few other weird things like how plugins are applied at setup_plugin time rather than earlier (which again I personally find to be a real pain in the butt but maybe there's some actually good use for it, just I don't see it.)

Even the role interface is probably too much since its applied on top of the application (and then automatically on the context).  Its a big hammer.  Then number one thing that always stopped me from bigger Catalyst refactoring is that I have not idea what people did to Catalyst internals with plugins... Its hard to figure out what you are breaking, which is why I tended to encourage people to try and use other things when they could like custom models, middleware, etc.  But you still need them from time to time I guess.   If all you want is some application scoped attributes you could do that with a application model, for example.  I personally consider 'MooseX::Emulate::Class::Accessor::Fast' something that was written as an expedient way to get get CataMoose off the ground. I definitely would not use it in my code, particularly if I could use Moose or Moo anyway.  I wasn't around for most of CataMoose so I don't know the reasons why a lot of stuff was done in certain ways, but those shims I'd not use for new stuff.  I always assumed it was 'until someone has time to fix this right' but then no body bothered.

Sorry this probably didn't help.  snap