[Catalyst] UK hosting

Mark Keating m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 22:34:03 GMT 2016

Hi Chris,

We have a Catalyst app, several Java based monitoring apps and some
other apps running on Bytemark's Big V basic (£12 a month inclusive of
VAT) VPS offering.

They seem to work fine. The Catalyst app runs on its own VPS as do each
install of the Java App. which is OpenNMS installs. As long as your
requirements are low (which they seem to be) they work well enough.
Linode's UK offers are also good and are a Perl company so they
understand Perl well - Bytemark seem to be Ruby/PhP.

Both Bytemark and Linode seem to have clued-up and helpful devs and have
freenode channels on irc so you can scout them out and have a chat
before visiting web portals and customer mangle-ment.

Hope this helps.

-mdk

On 11/01/2016 17:21, Chris Welch wrote:
> Hello
>
> This is not actually a technical request, so apologies if I shouldn't
> be asking this here.
>
> I'm hoping some of you can recommend a host - I've got my site to a
> point where I need to think about putting it online somewhere.  It's a
> rewrite of a current site, which I wrote 10 years ago when I was
> learning Perl and that does a maximum of 500MB bandwidth a month, so I
> don't think I'd need any more than 1GB to be safe, but I don't know
> what sort of server specs I ought to be going for with a database
> (MySQL) driven site (my current one uses dbm hashes).
>
> I've had a look at the (Google cached, as it seems to be down at the
> moment) hosting page on the Catalyst wiki and most of the reviews
> aren't very recent, so it would be handy to know if there are any
> up-to-date recommendations.  I don't necessarily need UK based
> hosting, but something that's reasonably responsive for UK-based
> visitors.  My current site is hosted here: https://krystal.co.uk/ - I
> have always been happy with them, but the requirement to move to VPS
> to host the Catalyst app means I need to shop around a bit - their VPS
> costs don't seem to offer as much as some of the others.
>
> This is a local sports league website, so I don't have a huge amount
> of money to play with - I think I can persuade them to spend about
> £10-15 a month.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>

> Chris

*mark Keating*
Managing Director
t: +44 (0)1524 842155 | m: +44 (0) 7951 557226|
w: www.shadow.cat
w: www.shadownms.com

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ShadowcatSystems> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/shadow_dot_cat> LinkedIn
<https://uk.linkedin.com/in/markkeating> Flickr
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowcat_mdk/> Instagram
<https://instagram.com/shadow_dot_cat/>
Contact me: Google Talk mark.keating Skype shadowcat-mdk
Latest Blog: End of Year 2015
<http://shadow.cat/blog/mark-keating/2016/01-2015-review/>
Follow teststamp on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/shadowcat_mdk>
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies
thereof.
Designed with WiseStamp -
<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?u=032dffc11b64b6ed&v=null&t=1452551424568&promo=10&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_10>Get
yours