[Catalyst] From Development to Production.

Trevor Leffler tleffler at uw.edu
Wed Mar 2 19:23:14 GMT 2016

On 03/02/2016 11:04 AM, Andrew wrote:
> ---> Really looking to keep it simple stupid, to be fair.
>
> ---> Looks like a lot to learn atm, so am likely to just copy and paste
> folders for the time being.
>
> ---> I got a bit confused here:
>
> As a baby-step prior to doing builds and auto deployment, you can
> checkout your code from your production server(s).  While this is still
> a manual step, it's probably better than copying folders and files.
>
> ---> If you're not doing an auto deployment, and you're not copying folders
> and files, how are you checking out your code from the production server?

Maybe a typo there: "check out code *to* your prod server".  The code
would live in a repository somewhere else.

Once you have your code safely in version control (e.g. git,
subversion), you can check out that code to wherever you want.  So while
yes, technically, files are being copied from *somewhere* into your
production environment, you're using a tool to fetch them from your code
repository and telling it exactly which branch/revision of those files
you want.  To me, this is a safer, more repeatable way of
up-/down-grading my production application.

You could also tar/zip up your app folder, copy that over, untar it.
You'd manage the tars/zips yourself, maybe naming them myapp-0.01,
myapp-0.02, or whatever.

Really, look into version control for your software projects.  You'll
thank yourself and never look back.

Best,
--Trevor