[Catmail] Catmail project

Jose Luis Martinez jlmartinez-lists-catmail at capside.com
Mon Aug 25 15:42:54 BST 2008

Hello,

	Welcome to the catmail project list. I hope this becomes an open forum
for discussion and design of the ¿first? open webmail project based on
the splendid Catalyst MVC Framework.

Different people expect very different things from a webmail. So one of
the goals is to "make it pluggable", so people can extend the project at
their will.

I think the basic components for the moment would be:
  - Access to Mailboxes (pretty common in webmails XD)
  - Email Composition (common too)
  - Address Book
  - Configuration (signatures, user identity). Basically a configuration
store for the webmail itself and future plugins.

My impression is that other webmail projects code has grown quite
organically, and many of them have been around from before the AJAX
boom, so they are based on "hand made" HTML, or haven't had time (or the
possibility) to adapt to the "new" web tecnologies. There seems to be
quite an amount of new webmails using AJAX tecnologies that are emerging
rapidly (Haven't read much code, though), and seem to be growing well too.

I think the Catalyst part of catmail should be oriented to offering
generic "webmail" services (that is: list messages in mailbox, search
messages, search address book, configuration store, etc) to different
possible frontends in the most independant form possible (XML, JSON,
etc), so the frontend can be written in the framework that we most want
(dojo, rico, extjs, YUI, etc).

So the first task would be to make a Catalyst model using one of CPANs'
modules. any suggestions?
Then select an existing view / base controller that would make getting
data to the clients easy in different formats (if possible). suggestions
on this one?

CPAN has already lots of modules to do lots of the tasks required for
the job, so the motto should be "We have the building blocks, let's glue
them together".

Jose Luis Martinez
jlmartinez at capside.com