[Catmail] Backend support for multiple folder parallel access?

Terence Monteiro terence at deeproot.co.in
Wed Oct 15 14:41:40 BST 2008

Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> Terence Monteiro escribió:
>> One of the features of IMAP is that a single IMAP connection can point
>> to a
>> single folder at a given time. IMO, one of the conveniences users will be
>> pleased to have is to be able to open the links to different folders in
>> different tabs of their browsers. So separate requests will be sent to
>> the
>> webmail server and need to be handled in parallel by the webmail
>> application.
>>
>> IMO, it is possible to accomodate the backend to support accessing of
>> multiple folders in parallel by creating a separate IMAP client
>> connection
>> for each folder with the same authentication parameters. Kindly give your
>> comments on whether this is advisable..
>>

> 1 HTTP request spawns one Catalyst request, and that Catalyst request
> should connect and log in to the IMAP server, so requests should be able
> to work in parallel as long as the GUI is able to handle them in
> parallel too (and as long as your IMAP server lets you connect the same
> user on different connections at the same time). Or are you sharing one
> IMAP connection for all the app?

The choice is between one IMAP connection per HTTP session and one IMAP
connection per folder, which means a user logged in users multiple IMAP
connections, one for each folder being accessed. For the latter case, the
backend can support something like:

  my $conn = Connection->new(Server => 'my_server',
                         User => 'user',
                         Password => 'pass');

  my $inbox = $conn->get_folder("INBOX");

  my $sent = $conn->get_folder("INBOX.Sent");

  print $inbox->get_messages->count;

  print $sent->get_messages->count;

Where one Connection object is used for a session.

If we have one IMAP connection per session, the last two commands cannot
run in parallel.

> How are you running the server? (maybe you are running myapp_server
> without the -f (fork) option? That would cause only one request to be
> attendable at a time).

The IMAP server can support multiple connections, but do you think the
backend should support multiple connections for separate folders or one
IMAP connection for one session?