[Catmail] SMTP client modules

Jose Luis Martinez jlmartinez-lists-catmail at capside.com
Fri Sep 26 09:12:28 BST 2008

Terence Monteiro escribió:
> I checked some CPAN modules to handle SMTP client side commands. Acmemail
> [1] uses Net::SMTP and CaMail [2] uses Mail::Cclient::SMTP. Anyone here
> having used either of these SMTP client modules or Mail::SendMail or an
> alternative, kindly share your experiences.
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/acmemail/
> [2] http://freshmeat.net/projects/camail/

Net::SMTP is the best SMTP class I've seen. It doesn't support TLS, but
it's easy to sub-class to support TLS (I have a working example in
Test::SMTP (see starttls_ok method).

I can't find docs on Mail::Cclient::SMTP on CPAN, but if it's based on a
c-api like Mail::Cclient maybe there will be more portability issues
than a pure perl implementation like Net::SMTP...

Jose Luis Martinez
jlmartinez at capside.com