[Config-loader] Scope of the project

Clinton Gormley clint at traveljury.com
Sat May 2 18:30:59 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 01:58 +0100, Tomas Doran wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2009, at 01:49, Robert Krimen wrote:
>
> > I wanted to check my assumptions on this project. I'm thinking the
> > scope is two-fold:
> >
> > 1. Provide a configurable (heh) API so that people can put together
> > their own config loaders. (Config::Loader)
> > 2. Provide a simple to use, out-of-the-box solution that people can
> > use right away (Config::Loader::Simple)
> >

> 3) Make it piss easy to use/reuse you config outside Catalyst. I'm
> sick of telling people who want to use their DBIC::Schema to use
> Config::General and parse their config to feed it.

This sounds right to me.

i started writing some API ideas, and then my brain went pop over the
details, as I was trying to nest various different loader 'types' eg
file vs dir vs db vs env etc

Later it occurred to me that it is much simpler than that: essentially a
pipeline of 'actions' where an action might be:
 - load from file X
 - load all files in dir Y (including sub-dirs) and merge
 - postprocess
 - load local overrides etc

All actions would be executed sequentially, rather than being nested.
makes life much simpler :)

Also, re ::Simple. If my thinking is correct, the ::Simple module
wouldn't be required, as Config::Loader would do the right thing with
the minimum of configuration.

But it would also provide the building blocks which others can reuse to
write their preferred config module.

clint