[DBD-SQLite] Removing the on-by-default referential integrity.

Kenichi Ishigaki kishigaki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 02:44:09 GMT 2009

Then let's wait for another month and another sqlite release.
Releasing just before this Christmas would make more sense.
In the end, the current sqlite is the first version with
foreign keys support. They are doing pubic tests right now,
and we haven't seen, and will see the result probably in a
month or so. Why do we need to rush out our stable release?

As I wrote in the previous mail, we need more tests. As of
this writing, we have virtually no tests for foreign keys
and virtual tables they use.

Besides, we have #48600 that reported several downstream
distributions were revealed broken by our more strict
error handling, which I haven't checked fully but it looks
like they still have issues like this:

Probably we should let people know that sqlite has been
supporting "IF (NOT) EXISTS" for some (or a long?) time,
and they can fix these issue with that clause right now,
even before our next stable release. A few nights ago,
DBIC people also found this issue, and they said maybe
their issue can be fixed in DBIC. It's better to give
people more time to test.

I think removing the on-by-default bit doesn't help,
especially if it's to release early. It will eventually
be turned on. And most probably they know how to cope with
it when it's enabled. As foreign keys have long been ignored,
if they are already there, they are for other engines people
are using in other places.

Kenichi