[DBIx-Class-Devel] Topics for next AllHands on 2012-12-04 22:00:00 (UTC) irc.perl.org#dbic-cabal

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Mon Dec 3 11:37:05 GMT 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 01:24:13AM +0100, Torsten Raudssus wrote:
> Hiho people!
>
> A bit late, but better late then never, here is a small summarize of
> the first AllHands meeting last tuesday. And of course the
> announcement for the next AllHands. I also attached the complete
> chatlog of the meeting on this email.
>
> At first, the next AllHands will be again at the same time, so on
> Tuesday, 4. December, 22:00 UTC (or 10pm UTC). I don't expect much
> from the next AllHands cause we already had lots of TODOs, from the
> first one, which still need to be fulfilled :). If you want specific
> topics talked about then, please mention them to me.

We still have no consensus on what "review" implies. Both frew and
abraxxa mentioned dissatisfaction with "dbic is like perl-core", while
to me this is a very very good thing (in fact I am not even happy with
the insane velocity of perl5 itself: [1])

I believe a lot of the friction comes from this point, which jnap also
mentioned: there is no agreement on any of the following points wrt the
DBIC project:

* Minimum requirements for code changes (architectural considerations,
maintainability, performance considerations, backwards comp.
considerations)

* Minimum requirements for documentation changes (agreement with
existing code, link quality, formatting considerations)

* Minimum requirements for patch density (multiple unrelated changes
lumped in one patch, general review considerations)

I think that until we have a clear set of guidelines for the above,
levels of frustration will not subside, and no useful work will be done
as a result. Also note, and I can't stress this enough - this *must* be
a consensus guideline, not a "whatever riba said" guildene.

That's what I'd like to talk about tomorrow night

Cheers