[DBIx-Class-Devel] Pull Request: topic/docs-pod-inherit

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Tue Dec 11 19:57:28 GMT 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 02:45:53PM -0500, Brendan Byrd wrote:
> It's a shame that it's problematic to implement, as it would be nice
> to have some sort of virtual_view type View class that doesn't require
> knowledge of SQL to implement.  I will also redirect users to the View
> docs as an alternative to rs_attr, since many of the asks around that
> could be solved via View.

I may be missing something here - can you give me an example/use case
(pseudocode ir whatnot) of such a "virtual_view without knowing SQL".
Then I probably will be able to give a more convincing answer.

> Frankly, I'd like to convert P:I to a Pod::Weaver plugin
> (Pod::Weaver::Section::InheritedMethods), and start some sort of
> branch to start using P:W in DBIC.  That's a different project for
> another day...

I am +1 on that with the caveat that I would like things to continue
building the way they do now - with externalized .pod files. AFAIK
the normal usage of POD::Weaver involves manglig the contents of the
.pm's directly, and this is enerally a no-go, unless it happens after
the final code line (1; or whatever it is). Anything else that would
make pod-building less hateful, and the result more pleasant to look
at - I am all +1 for.