[DBIx-Class-Devel] Let's review the review process

fREW Schmidt frioux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:11:45 GMT 2012

On 11/21/2012 05:25 AM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> I figured this is something that needs collective brainstorming, as it =

> affects commit velocity in general. =

> The situation (just a timeline):

Ok, so I think the only real solution would have been for someone less
busy (me for example) to have caught this.  If it's a small patch I
doubt it's worth the effort of some kind of guiding to get the author to
mind-read their way into the right answer.  What should have happened is
that any one of the many people equipped to help make the doc patch
correct should have told abraxxa what was correct.

The problem (I think) is that the best bet right now for reviewing
patches like this is to subscribe to the repo via rss.  Maybe I need to
set up rss2email or something for this, because my RSS feed reader is in
the "unimportant" category of things.  Email is only marginally higher
on the list but still.

What I'd be interested in would be an SC served gitolite based PR
model.  The point being that because commits *cannot* get into master or
even the main repo w/o some form of review by someone else in the cabal,
we in the cabal are forced to interact more.  The idea would be that
people have a their own SC served fork (trivial with gitolite: git clone
git://git.shadowcat.co.uk/dbsrgits/DBIx-Class && cd DBIx-Class && git
remote add myfork dbsrgits at forks/frioux/DBIx-Class && git push myfork
--mirror).  We could have some kind of thing where unless you do -f it
forces the person doing the push to master to be ne the author and ne
the committer.

I know I personally get frustrated with our process, committers,
codebase, etc etc and it makes me just back off for a while and that's
not good.  I imagine the same happens to others.

TL;DR: We need to get the cabal more involved.  We *must* expand the
cabal.  We *must* be more on-the-hook for commits.