[DBIx-Class-Devel] topic/all_is_DBIC

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.me.uk
Fri Apr 5 19:15:15 GMT 2013

My 4p:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:05:35 -0000, Brendan Byrd <Perl at resonatorsoft.org>
wrote:

> Another doc branch.  This is one of those wide-scoping "search and
> replace"
> jobs, though some of the searching had to be done manually to keep from
> replacing (for example) Perl comments with L<> POD code.

Do like:
* Writing DBIC in various/some places, to get people used to it being
interchangable with "DBIx::Class"

Don't like:
* Linking to DBIx::Class in general, and indeed we seem to write it out in
a lot of places where that seems daft.. It might be because I'm reading
the compressed patch, but it feels like a bad novel: This is Fred. Fred is
a man, Fred goes to work, Fred ... one can occasionally (and indeed very
often as its the main subject here), substitute "he", or in dbic's case
"it" or "this module" ..
* Merging AUTHOR and CONTRIBUTORs sections.. don't various toolchain or
other similar tools have issues with this? "AUTHOR" is a
standard/generally well used section name..
* Renaming DBIx::Class to DBIC in the copyright statement (for some reason
I can't explain)
* This sentence in CDBICompat, two very similar short whatsits, I think
they ought to keep the full version on both:

+This is not a wrapper or subclass of L<DBIC|DBIx::Class> but rather a
series of plugins.  The result being that even though you're using the
+L<CDBI|Class::DBI> emulation layer you are still getting
L<DBIC|DBIx::Class> objects.  You can use all L<DBIC|DBIx::Class> features
and methods
+via CDBICompat.  This allows you to take advantage of L<DBIC|DBIx::Class>
features without having to rewrite your L<CDBI|Class::DBI> code.

* lib/DBIx/Class/InflateColumn/File.pm - table class??
+In your L<DBIC|DBIx::Class> table class:

... Got bored reading the whole thing.. ;) In general I think it needs to
be less mechanical, it shouldn't get renamed to DBIC *everywhere* nor
should it, in most cases, link back to the main module. OTOH now its made
me want to (sigh) go read the whole damn thing.

What was the particular reason that kicked off this idea/change?
	
Jess