[DBIx-Class-Devel] Re: SQL::Translator::XML::Torque

fREW Schmidt frioux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 21:30:06 GMT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 04:27:53PM -0400, Jim Schueler wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Do you know anything about the SQL::Translator::XML::Torque distro?

No I do not.

> From what I can find, SQL::Translator::XML::Torque was written as a utility
> for the xmldoom package, and the provider and parser methods are not
> supplied independently.
>
> I was slighly dismayed that SQL::Translator::XML::Torque includes a very
> long list of dependencies. I gave up trying to load all the external
> dependencies, and I also doubt whether the perl dependencies are actively
> maintained.  SQL::Translator::XML::Torque itself hasn't been updated since
> early 2007.
>
> A universal standard like XML::Torque seems like a more robust solution than
> XML::SQLFairy.  But maybe I just find the latter name too whimsical.
> Is this still a viable solution?

Hah, you find SQLFairy too whimsical but not Xmldoom?

As for XML::Torque being a universal standard, I hardly see how that
is true.  Yes it's another open source project, but it's certainly not
a standard.

Either way, supporting this should not be difficult.  I'd recommend
taking the existing "xmldoom" producer/parser
(https://metacpan.org/source/DSNOPEK/Xmldoom-0.0.16/lib/SQL/Translator/Producer/XML/Xmldoom.pm
https://metacpan.org/source/DSNOPEK/Xmldoom-0.0.16/lib/SQL/Translator/Parser/XML/Xmldoom.pm)
and reworking them to work with fewer deps.  Then you may want to
release them separately with fewer deps.

I've CC'd this to the DBIC-Devel list as I am not the maintainer of
SQL::Translator and merely made the most recent release.

--
fREW Schmidt
http://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com