[DBIx-Class-Devel] Re: [dbix-class] cascaded delete must delete relationships first (#27)

Brendan Byrd notifications at github.com
Sun May 26 04:03:22 GMT 2013

MySQL has commands for disabling FK checks.  Not sure if we should go that route or not, but I'm going to have to side with @gbarr on this being a critical support issue, previous behavior be damned.  We can't just say that we don't support cascade deletes when we have a cascade_delete flag in the relationship.

Sure, the exception is documented, and yes, it's been in there forever.  But causing an exception for a fairly common use case is still a bug, especially when there isn't any way around it.  Let's provide some answers instead of constantly shooting down his suggestions.

I'm in favor of creating a cascade_delete => -1 behavior.  It doesn't create a dual property complexity problem, passes TRUE/FALSE tests (on the edge case of relationship introspection), and it's mnemonic.  (After = 1, Before = -1)

---
https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/pull/27#issuecomment-18457621