[Dbix-class] Using Class::Std under-the-hood

Thu Aug 11 09:02:01 CEST 2005

At 11:36 PM -0700 8/10/05, Dan Kubb wrote:
>Via IRC some of us have been discussing converting DBIx::Class to
>using Class::Std under-the-hood.  If you're not familiar with
>Class::Std, you can find more about it here:
>
>   http://search.cpan.org/dist/Class-Std/
>
>About a week ago I sent a message to the list about DBIx::Class::Field,
>which will be rolled into DBIx::Class shortly.   I used Class::Std
>for everything underneath, more as an experiment than anything, but I'm
>really happy with the results.   So much so that we're considering
>switching from using blessed hash objects to inside-out objects, and
>using Class::Std as a base.
>
>Anyway, its a pretty nice module and I recommend checking it out.
>I could include more sample code, but the documentation is a better
>than anything I could write at the moment ;)
>
>We're looking to get some feedback before making any decisions.  If
>you've got anything pro or con to add, now's the time to speak up..

I'm all for this move.  Its especially good with new modules, with
which we are best to start thinking in Perl 6 terms right away.  And
in my mind, "Perl Best Practices" is all about thinking in Perl 6
terms with Perl 5.

Furthermore, I have already committed to refactoring my Rosetta
framework to use inside-out objects ASAP, plus make lots of other
improvements that are inline with "Best Practices", such as v-string
module version nums and using spaces to indent instead of tabs.  So
if DBIx-Class is going to use Rosetta underneath, then the total
system will require Class-Std anyway, so might as well use it.

BTW, I may have been the one that started the IRC discussion on
DBIx-Class; or at least I started *a* discussion on it, at 5:13pm PST
monday afternoon.

-- Darren Duncan