[Dbix-class] Refactoring Tangram::Expr and Tangram::Relational::Engine - looking for a SQL AST module

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Jul 29 10:15:36 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 04:23:08PM +1200, Sam Vilain wrote:
> Matt S. Trout and I discussed requirements for an extension to SQL::Abstract
> and/or a new module along similar lines that could serve as a base for the
> SQL generation performed by Tangram and DBIx::Class.

The other thing we've looked at is Darren Duncan's Rosetta + SQL::Routine
libraries, which are quite complex (at least to me at first look) but
extremely powerful. Darren e-mailed me (independently of us starting to
look at his code) with http://darrenduncan.net/OSCON/OSCON2005LightningTalk.txt
which gives an interesting summary indeed.

I'll provide this brief quote to explain why I'm so interested:

"You can define base tables, views, triggers, stored procedures, functions,
sequences, and domains.

Tables have multi-column keys, full text indexes, and set constraints.

Queries are arbitrarily complex, using multi-column self and outer joins,
grouping, expressions, compound ops like unions, function calls, and N-depth
sub-queries that are named, correlated, and recursive.

You can insert arrays, use LOBs, cursors, and transactions.

Views are updateable."

I'm trying to persuade Darren he should subscribe to one/both lists; in the
mean time, comments on this as well as the points in Sam's e-mail are of
course most welcome. So get thinking!

--
     Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk